DELPHI THERMOPYLAE TOUR
Athens Tours 365 recommend on TripAdvisor!
A fantastic Delphi Thermopylae tour. Driving north from Athens, about 220 km we will stop at the famous Thermopylae, the place that the battle of the 300 Spartans took place. There is a modern memorial to King Leonidas on one side of the highway. The memorial shows the Spartan King on the top of a wall with the words “Molon Lavei” written under the statue. The phrase means, “Come and get it”. This is the phrase that Leonidas said to the Persian king Xerxes when he told Leonidas to hand over his weapons. The phrase has become a slogan of defiance all over the world. Across the highway from the modern memorial is the ancient memorial that was placed there shortly after the battle. It is a small carved stone plaque that says,“stranger, tell the Spartans that we lay here obedient to their laws”. This ancient memorial is on the small hill of Colonos across the national road from the modern memorial. After Thermopylae we will drive at Delphi after having taken a scenic drive through mountains and fertile valleys of olive trees.
Delphi was the most famous oracle of the ancient world. It was regarded as the center of the world. Between the 6th and 4th centuries BC the Delphi oracle became internationally known for the oracular powers of Pythia, the priestess who sat on a tripod, inhaled ethylene gases and muttered incomprehensible words that foretold the future. Cities, rulers and ordinary individuals alike consulted the oracle, expressing their gratitude with great gifts and spreading its fame around the world.
We will visit the temple of Athena Pronaia, the Gymnasium, the temple of the god Apollo, the sacred way, the treasury house of Athenians and the old theater. In the Museum of Delphi you can admire unique treasures such as the world famous bronze Charioteer, a masterpiece of classical Greek art. After ancient Delphi we’ll visit the modern city of Delphi where we stop for lunch in one of the traditional taverns with very scenic view in the Corinthian Golf and the city of Itea. After your lunch we’ll take the way back to Athens via Arachova a traditional Ski resort Village. we’ll stop there to take few vey beautiful photos.
- We use vehicles, legal and licensed by the Greek National Tourism Organization, smoke-free, fully air-conditioned.
- Rates include all tolls, fuel, parking fees, and baggage charges.
- Not included: Drinks, meals, entrance fees, accommodation, licensed guides.
- Tours are private, personal, and flexible just for you and your party.
- Museum & Archaeological Site Full: €12 / Reduced: €6
- Reduced ticket: European citizens over 65 years old, University students
- Free entrance: Children and young people up to the age of 25, from EU member-states, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- Children up to the age of 5, from non-European Union countries, upon presentation of their passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
Vehicle: Mercedes sedan – Capacity: 4 persons + driver
Vehicle: Mercedes minivan – Capacity: 5 up to 7 persons + driver
Museums and Archaeological sites are closed:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Easter Sunday: closed
- 1 May: closed
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
Museums and Archaeological sites are open 08.30-15.00:
- Shrove Monday:
- Holy Saturday
- Easter Monday
- Holy Spirit Day
- 15 August
- 28 October
Delphi & Thermopylae Full Day tour
The Delphi Thermopylae tour is a great opportunity to enjoy the beauty of Greece, while visiting unique sites with great archaeological interest. Delphi, the center of the world, and the museum of Delphi, are of great interest, and Thermopylae is about one of the most important battles of the history, between the Greeks and the Persians. You will admire the marvelous statue of King of Sparta, Leonidas.
- Museum of Delphi
- Photography is allowed throughout the tour.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
- Hat and sun glasses can be really helpful all year round
Activity Level Medium