DELPHI AND HOSIOS LOUKAS MONASTERY TOUR
A beautiful Delphi and Hosios Loukas Monastery tour from Athens. Delphi is one of most famous sites of classical Greece. It is located in a breathtaking landscape spreading out at the foot Mt. Parnassus. It is a 229 miles (370 km) round trip from Athens city.
Arrival at ancient Delphi around noon after having taken a scenic drive through mountains and fertile valleys of olive trees and fields and pass traditional towns such as Levadia and Arachova enjoying breathtaking views of the Greek countryside. Delphi was the most famous oracle of the ancient world. It was regarded as the center of the world. Between the 6th and 4th centuries BC the Delphic oracle became internationally known for the oracular powers of Pythia, the priestess who sat on a tripod, inhaled ethylene gases and muttered incomprehensible words that foretold the future. Cities, rulers and ordinary individuals alike consulted the oracle, expressing their gratitude with great gifts and spreading its fame around the world.
We will visit the temple of Athena Pronaia, the Castalia Spring where Pythia and pilgrims used to wash in order to purify themselves, the Stadium where the athletes who competed in the Pythian Games used to train, the temple of the god Apollo, the sacred way, the treasury house of Athenians and the old theater. In the Museum of Delphi you can admire unique treasures such as the world famous bronze Charioteer, a masterpiece of classical Greek art. After ancient Delphi we’ll visit the modern city of Delphi where we stop for lunch in one of the traditional taverns with very scenic view in the Corinthian Golf and the city of Itea.
After Delphi we drive through Arachova to Osios Loukas Monastery, set in the folds of Mt. Helikon. Founded in about 1011 A.D. Hosios Loukas it’s one of the most important monuments of Middle Byzantine architecture and art, and has been listed on UNESCO’S World Heritage sites, along with the monasteries of Nea Moni at Chios Island and Daphni in Attica. This octagonal Byzantine structure is in excellent condition containing many well preserved mosaics and paintings. After our visit to the monastery we take the same way back to Athens.
- We use vehicles, legal and licensed by the Greek National Tourism Organization, smoke-free, fully air-conditioned.
- Rates include all tolls, fuel, parking fees, and baggage charges.
- Not included: Drinks, meals, entrance fees, accommodation, licensed guides.
- Tours are private, personal, and flexible just for you and your party.
- Museum & Archaeological Site: Full: €12 / Reduced: €6
- Monastery of Osios Loukas: Full: €4 /Reduced: €2
- Reduced ticket: European citizens over 65 years old, University students
- Free entrance: Children and young people up to the age of 25, from EU member-states, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- Children up to the age of 5, from non-European Union countries, upon presentation of their passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
Vehicle: Mercedes sedan – Capacity: 4 persons + driver
Vehicle: Mercedes minivan – Capacity: 5 up to 7 persons + driver
Museums and Archaeological sites are closed:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Easter Sunday: closed
- 1 May: closed
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
Museums and Archaeological sites are open 08.30-15.00:
- Shrove Monday:
- Holy Saturday
- Easter Monday
- Holy Spirit Day
- 15 August
- 28 October
Delphi & Hosios Loukas monastery full day tour
The Delphi & Hosios Loukas tour is a great opportunity to enjoy the beauty of Greece, while visiting unique sites with great archaeological and religious interest. Delphi, the center of the world, is located in a breathtaking landscape spreading out at the foot of Mt. Parnassus. Hosios Loukas Monastery lies on the west slope of Mt. Helikon. It has been listed on UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites and was founded in the early 10th century AD.