Ancient Olympia Day Tour
The ancient Olympia full day tour starts at 8:00 am from Athens, driving via coastal highway towards Peloponnisos. While on route you will see the area of Saronic Gulf where the famous Naval Battle of Salamis took place in 480 B.C. between the Greeks and the Persians.
Our first stop/visit is the famous Isthmus of Corinth. Corinth is located eighty kilometers west of Athens on the south side of the Isthmus, a narrow neck of land connecting the Peloponnese to mainland Greece and separating the Corinthian Gulf from the Saronic Gulf and finally the Ionian Sea from the Aegean Sea.
On the way we’ll see coastal towns and villages Like Corinth , Xilokastro , Aigion, Diacophto ,Patra etc. Also on the way at your own order we can stop for coffee in one of the many points we’ll meet on the way. After 3,5 hours driving we’ll arrive to Ancient Olympia .You will visit the unique archaeological area of Ancient Olympia where the first Olympic Games took place from the year 776 B.C. to 393 A.D. The Olympic Games were held every four years, in honor of the god Zeus.
Amongst decades of monuments, you will admire the Temple of Zeus, the Temple of Hera, the Philipeion, the Palestra, the Ancient Stadium, the Ancient Gymnasium, the Prytaneion, the Bouleuterion and the Leonidaion. Your knowledge will be complemented with the visit of the archaeological Museum, one of the most important museums in Greece with permanent exhibition of findings from the excavations, dating since prehistoric times. After your visit to the archaeological area we stop for Lunch to one of the traditional taverns. After we start the return trip to Athens.
NOTE:Ancient Olympia is part of multi day tours, which are recommended to those who have more than one day at their disposal.
- We use vehicles, legal and licensed by the Greek National Tourism Organization, smoke-free, fully air-conditioned.
- Rates include all tolls, fuel, parking fees, and baggage charges.
- Not included: Drinks, meals, entrance fees, accommodation, licensed guides.
- Tours are private, personal, and flexible just for you and your party.
- Ancient Olympia : Full: €12, Full: €6 (April-October) Full: €6, Full: €3 (November-March)
- Reduced ticket: European citizens over 65 years old, University students
- Free entrance: Children and young people up to the age of 25, from EU member-states, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- Children up to the age of 5, from non-European Union countries, upon presentation of their passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
Vehicle: Mercedes sedan – Capacity: 4 persons + driver
Vehicle: Mercedes minivan – Capacity: 5 up to 7 persons + driver
Museums and Archaeological sites are closed:
- 1 January: closed
- 6 January: closed
- 25 March: closed
- Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
- Easter Sunday: closed
- 1 May: closed
- 25 December: closed
- 26 December: closed
Museums and Archaeological sites are open 08.30-15.00:
- Shrove Monday:
- Holy Saturday
- Easter Monday
- Holy Spirit Day
- 15 August
- 28 October
Ancient Olympia Full Day Tour
Enjoy the ancient Olympia full day tour! Start from Athens and visit the famous Isthmus of Corinth to enjoy the unique view! After a short visit to the Corinth Canal, we will visit Ancient Olympia and the unique archaeological area of Ancient Olympia where the first Olympic Games took place. The Temple of Zeus, the Temple of Hera, the Philipeion, the Palestra, the Ancient Stadium, the Ancient Gymnasium, are some of the great momuments that we will see.
- Isthmus of Corinth
- Ancient Olympia
- Temple of Zeus
- Temple of Hera
- Archaeological museum of Olympia
- Photography is allowed throughout the tour.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
- Hat and sun glasses can be really helpful all year round
Activity Level Medium